• Question: do you think a engineer could make homes use the same amount of electricity but pay less on there electricity bill

Asked by olivia10 to Rhys, Rach, Priyanka, Omar, Olivia, Miriam, Mark, Kayleigh, Holly, Emma, Eleanor, Craig, Andy, Alya on 17 Nov 2017.
    • Photo: Rhys Phillips

Rhys Phillips answered on 17 Nov 2017:

I think a better option is to make things more efficient so that we use LESS electricity but without it having a negative effect on our lives.

• Photo: Eleanor Sherwen

Eleanor Sherwen answered on 17 Nov 2017:

Yes, I put solar panels on the roof of my house when I was in York and that meant I didn’t have an electricity bill any more. You have to pay for the panels but they save more than they cost over their lifetime.

But also, I agree with Rhys that it’s even better if engineers can help with having the same level of comfort in your home but using less electricity for it.

• Photo: Kayleigh Messer

Kayleigh Messer answered on 19 Nov 2017:

I agree with Rhys and Eleanor – I think engineers can make things use less electricity, and also better, cleaner, cheaper ways of making electricity in the first place.

• Photo: Andy Woods

Andy Woods answered on 20 Nov 2017:

We are already using less electricity. In the UK the home electricity demand is falling as people move to efficient LED lighting and more efficient home appliances. I think the cost of electricity needs to increase to show the cost of the CO2 emissions which aren’t always accurately captured in the price but do have a cost to us all.

• Photo: Emma Grayshon

Emma Grayshon answered on 20 Nov 2017:

I think the others have answered this. It is possible, but engineers are obliged by their profession to make best use of resources and find the most sustainable solution.

Comments